Sunday, August 14, 2005

To be Asian, or not to be Asian?

at Tokyo orientation my roommate was Elisa, incredibly annoying theatre girl, cannot stop talking about herself or her accomplishments, never ever once does she ask about you. But I kept my cool which I am very proud of I managed to still talk to her. THEN on the bus from Tokyo to Gunma she's chatting with others I pretend like I'm sleeping. Guys in the back says yea its kool to be gaijin in Japan there are perks, then annoying girl says (in a rather loud voice), "Yea, I'm so glad I don't look Asian!"----------------- that's, when I decided I don't need to think about her or talk to her. But I kinda got to put her in her place when we had the big reception with all the Gunma prefectural big wigs, we were all gathering and it was me with Mizumura (important man) introducing me to the big wig japanese men as the person who can speak the best Japanese (for some reason she insists that she can speak better....) I talked it up with them. Happy ending. ps...I thought I was being a bitch for hating her, but afterwords the word on the JET grapevine is that they ALL hate her. Vindicated. Yet sad.

No comments: